Joseph’s Tortilla Soup has an amazing all-around flavor. It is easy, foolproof and incredibly good every time! Our favorite over any restaurant version. And healthier with No Cholesterol, No Trans Fats, Low Carb Tortilla from Joseph’s Bakery. Try it and you’ll make it again!
6 (6-inch) Joseph’s corn tortillas (it would be perfect to use somewhat old and dried out)
1/4 cup grape-seed oil, peanut oil (or other high smoke-point oil)
1 small onion, minced (1/2 cup)
2 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 medium Anaheim, poblano or jalapeño chile, seeded, veins removed, minced (Depends on the spiciness and flavor you like)
4 cups chicken broth or homemade chicken stock
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 ripe medium avocado
1/2 cup (2 oz) shredded Monterey Jack cheese (you can use any other mild, melting cheese)
Minced fresh cilantro
1 lime, cut into wedges
*Makes 4 servings
- If you don’t have old, dried out tortillas, then put them on a baking sheet and into the oven. Dry them out for 10-15 minutes at 200°F. It’s important to use tortillas that aren’t moist.
- Cut tortillas in half. Then cut halves into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in 3-quart saucepan.
- Fry strips in oil, 1/3 at a time, until they turn light brown and crunchy. Take away from pan. Drain on paper towels. Put aside.
- Heat oil remaining in saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook onion in oil for 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Stir in garlic and chile. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring often, until vegies become crisp-tender.
- Add broth, tomatoes and salt. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add chicken. Heat until hot.
- To serve, peel and stone avocado. Cut it into 1-inch slices.
- Divide half of tortilla strips among 4 separate serving bowls. Pour in soup.
- Top with avocado and cheese.
- Decorate with leftover tortilla strips and cilantro.
- Serve with lime wedges.