Joseph’s Grilled and Spicy Lavash Pizza with Eggplants, Feta and Hummus is simply awesome! Fantastic pizza alternative for vegetarians. And a healthy one as you get from Joseph’s No Cholesterol, No Trans Fats, Low Carb Lavash. It’s a must.
1 Joseph’s soft lavash bread
2 small Japanese eggplants, cut in half
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spicy Hummus (recipe below)
12 ounces crumbled feta cheese
Red Chile Oil (recipe below)
Minced fresh mint, for decoration
*Makes 4 servings
- Heat grill to high.
- Smear lavash with oil on both sides. Grill until it turns golden brown on both sides.
- Smear eggplant with oil. Spice with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant, cut-side down, until it turns golden brown. Then turn eggplant over and grill until just cooked through. Take off from grill and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices.
- Distribute hummus over lavash, put eggplant and then feta on top. Grill, with the cover down for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese melts. Take off from grill, sprinkle with red chile oil and garnish with mint.
How to make Spicy Hummus:
1 1/2 cups dried chickpeas, cooked until soft
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons minced parsley leaves
- Blend chickpeas, garlic, and tahini until paste-like. If needed stir in a few tablespoons of water. (You can use food processor)
- Add cayenne, cumin, and lemon juice, and mix again until well-combined.
- With food processor on, slowly stir in olive oil until blended.
- Stir in parsley and mix until just combined.
- Spice with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Put into to a bowl.
How to make Red Chile Oil:
2 ancho chiles, stemmed and minced
1 New Mexican red chili, stemmed and minced
1 teaspoon chile de arbol powder
1 cup canola oil
Salt to taste
- Put all ingredients in a blender and mix for 5 minutes.
- Move the oil mixture to a small bowl.